Google Sketch-up to Celestia

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
cill
With us: 15 years 2 months

Google Sketch-up to Celestia

Post #1by cill » 26.04.2009, 17:43

How do you take files from sketch-up and put them in celestia NEED an answer ASAP

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Re: Google Sketch-up to Celestia

Post #2by selden » 26.04.2009, 19:27

Celestia requires 3DS format.

You must either purchase SketchUp Pro
or get a program that translates KMZ or KML format into 3DS.

A Google search found that the translation supposedly can be done by what was once Media Machines Flux Studio: import kml, then export 3ds.

Apparently Flux Studio is now available as Vivaty Studio.
http://developer.vivaty.com/

I've never used this program so I don't know if it actually works.
Selden

Pierebean
With us: 19 years 6 months

Post #3by Pierebean » 21.04.2010, 12:07

Hello,

Thank you for bring this subject up because I also considered using the multitude of starship available in the Google 3D warehouse database and putting them in Celestia. That would be really interesting for those who like Sci-Fi stuff in Celestia.

I have tried to export models of Google sketch up to 3ds and scripted them in Celestia. It works but lousily. It seems that the original textures are not present in Celestia as if the 3ds only contain 3D information without any textures whereas the Google sketch up file has some texturing.

Also, sometimes the 3DS it not rendered properly by comparison to the kmz or kml file, some polygons seem to be missing.

My question is then the following: has someone found a way to successfully transfer a kmz or kml file into Celestia with proper rendering? If yes please share. It will be a quick way to generate numerous starships considering the 3D warehouse database.
THE OWLS ARE NOT WHAT THEY SEEM

Marco Klunder
With us: 16 years 4 months

Post #4by Marco Klunder » 17.05.2010, 15:51

Hello all,

May I suggest you to read thread http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15701 about the Phoenix Lander on Mars.
It's also about a Google Sketchup model used as a base, which ended as a concrete Celestia model :D .

The thread documents all the steps and freeware software used to come to a Celestia model.
It also documents some problems you'll experience during such a traject.
Unfortunately, this type of conversions are not all bug free. :?

Marco
Marco Klunder
email: marco.klunder@xs4all.nl
Windows10 PD 3.0 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6700 XL
Celestia161 / SVN + Lua Edu Tools v1.2 Beta9, Celestia160-ED and Celestia1621

duds26
With us: 17 years 5 months

Post #5by duds26 » 03.06.2010, 11:45

It would be nice if Celestia supports kml files directly.
The conversion can also be done with any kml to other, more common formats supporting program.
Last edited by duds26 on 14.04.2018, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira2006
With us: 13 years 8 months

Post #6by Gojira2006 » 31.10.2010, 11:54

:) If you download SketchUp Pro & install it, you get 8 free hours of use, which means you can convert the SketchUp models to .obj, .3ds or .vrml formats, to name but three . . . I've had varying success in using the models in Poser & Bryce - but most of the starships I've converted look fabulous . . . :D
ゴジラ2006

Return to “Help Central”