Show label for a single asteroid

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
and0uille
With us: 3 years

Show label for a single asteroid

Post #1by and0uille » 08.10.2021, 16:28

Hello everyone,
I'd like to show the labels and orbits of 4-5 asteroids, but I could only figure out how to show all the asteroids labels (and orbits), which is kind of messy :rambo: .
Is there a way in celestia to provide a short list of astroids (or any object) and show the labels / orbits of these objects only ?
Thank you for your help!
Cheers,
and0uille

gironde M
With us: 7 years 10 months

Post #2by gironde » 09.10.2021, 07:45

The LUT5 add-on by the late Croc does this. LUT5 is integrated with Celestia Origin but with a modified version. The principle is to add to each asteroid ssc declaration, the parameter 'Visible false'. The Vidiba module of LUT5 allows on demand to modify 'false' by 'true' on lists of asteroids entered in lua tables. This principle can be applied to all types of objects.
Lua is a programming language integrated into Celestia and used among other things in Celx script files.

Topic author
and0uille

Post #3by and0uille » 10.10.2021, 07:56

Thank you gironde for your reply!
When you say that LUT5 is integrated with Celestia Origin but with a modified version, does it mean that I don't need to follow this procedure to install LUT-5 ? and that LUT-5 should work out of the box ?

I tried to install LUT-5, but I ended up with the following error :

Code: Select all

lua_universal_tools_v5.lua:17: attempt to call a nil value (field 'getn')

I've tried running Celestia with various Lua version from 5.4 to 5.1.5. But I keep getting the same error. I found other people here struggling with the same error (see this post for example).
I'll keep looking into it,
Cheers,
and0uille

gironde M
With us: 7 years 10 months

Post #4by gironde » 12.10.2021, 13:58

it is complicated to want to change the lua version installed with Celestia. I am using official Celestia 1.6.1 with Lua 5.1.5 (the file is named lua5.1.dll) and also Celestia 1.6.2.2 with lua 5.1 (the file is named lua51.dll). my two versions of celestia installed with the same LUT5 accept table.getn (name_of_table) instructions and the #name_of_table replacement instruction throws an error there. Depending on your Celestia version, you should use table.getn (name_of_table) or #name_of_table. This instruction provides the size of the table.
Try the replacement (after saving). To find all the getns you can use Notepad ++ which has a very good search module.

Topic author
and0uille

Post #5by and0uille » 13.10.2021, 17:16

I have tried setting LUA 5.1 as my default LUA version (system wide). Then I replaced every occurence of table.getn(arg) with #arg.
I can no longer see the error when I launch Celestia. However, it seems to break the objects rendering: when I look at an object (like the earth), it only is visible when I zoom in a lot. Otherwise all objects are invisible :/ (I can only see the orbits and labels).
I might need to re-install celestia from source, with LUA 5.1 set as default system wide :insane:
Thanks again for your help :)

Return to “Help Central”