I'll need some help with the globular clusters

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
Spaceman M
With us: 17 years 4 months

I'll need some help with the globular clusters

Post #1by Spaceman » 31.08.2020, 14:42

Hello :smile:

Yesterday I was flying inside a couple of globular clusters, like 47 Tucanae, and I was thinking about making my own fictional clusters. I have a fictional system from the ArcBuilders Universe and I tried today to make a fictional globular cluster to fill the empty space around it with some stars. I used the 47 Tucanae as a base, changed some numbers, and made a .dsc file at the extras folder with this:

Code: Select all

Globular "Magni Cluster"
{
   RA   79.683917
   Dec   33.412025
   Distance   11800
   Radius   100
   CoreRadius   0.4
   KingConcentration   2.03
   AbsMag   -5.00
   Axis   [ -0.7429 -0.2364 -0.6263 ]
   Angle   175.9
}

The problem is that Celestia doesn't load it, doesn't even recognize it. I hit ENTER, try to type the name of the cluster, and there isn't in the list at all. What I did wrong? I don't get it.

By the way, I have some questions about globular clusters. How big can they get? What exactly is the CoreRadius? What will happen if it has the same value with the Radius? KingConcentration is about spreading the cluster, making the core more or less dense? What's its maximum value? What exactly are Axis and Angle? Can I make a cluster big enough and spread its stars with such a uniformity, to fill some caps in Space?
"Any sufficiently advanced extraterrestrial intelligence is indistinguishable from God"
Michael Shermer

My addons: Nemesis, Ursa Minor Dwarf Galaxy Stars

LukeCEL
With us: 6 years 9 months

Post #2by LukeCEL » 31.08.2020, 16:23

Hi Spaceman!

I tried your DSC code and it worked for me.

MagniCluster.png

The only "wrong" with your DSC file is that the RA is too high - for DSC files the RA is in fractional hours, not degrees, so it goes from 0 to 24. However, the globular will still work, it'll just be placed in an unexpected position.

A while ago, I made a spreadsheet that helps generate globular clusters. It's meant for real objects, but it could still be helpful for your endeavors. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20284

For me, globular clusters are still mostly a mystery, but I think I can answer a few questions:

Spaceman wrote:KingConcentration is about spreading the cluster, making the core more or less dense? What's its maximum value?

The KingConcentration parameter is the log of the tidal radius divided by the core radius (why it says c = log10(r_t/r_c) in globulars.dsc). So my guess is that a higher KingConcentration makes it more clustered, but I don't know. I also don't know what the maximum value is.

Spaceman wrote:What exactly are Axis and Angle?

The Axis and Angle values specify the orientation of the globular cluster. Currently, though, they're kinda useless because globular clusters look the same from any direction.

Best,
LukeCEL

Topic author
Spaceman M

Post #3by Spaceman » 31.08.2020, 19:20

Thanks for the help, Luke. I'll give your generator a try for sure. I fixed the RA value and I really hoped this was the problem. Still nothing. Celestia can't even find it.

whereismycluster.jpg
There is supposed to be a globular cluster here :(

By the way, I have Celestia Origin version 1.6.0.
"Any sufficiently advanced extraterrestrial intelligence is indistinguishable from God"
Michael Shermer

Gurren Lagann
With us: 6 years 4 months

Post #4by Gurren Lagann » 31.08.2020, 19:26

I do see a really dim spec of light right next to your marker though... That could be the cluster.
whereismycluster~2.jpg
Marker: star - Blurry dot: possible cluster
whereismycluster~2.jpg (1.15 KiB) Viewed 6778 times
"The tomorrow we're trying to reach is not a tomorrow you had decided on!"
- Simon the Digger
"Nothing is impossible for me, as long I'm determinated to keep moving forward!"
"If other people aren't going to do it, I'm going to do it myself!"
- Me (Gurren)

Current major projects:
- Aur Cir
- Cel+
- Project Sisyphus
- Populating the Local Group
- An galaxy generator

Topic author
Spaceman M

Post #5by Spaceman » 31.08.2020, 19:36

No, that's a detail of the nebula next to the Magni Sun.
Michael Shermer

Return to “Help Central”