Help with Anim8or

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
BorderShed
With us: 5 years 9 months

Help with Anim8or

Post #1by BorderShed » 04.01.2019, 08:44

Help, total beginner ! I cant get my textures to work in it :(
I can texture my model with textures from 1.6.1 like amalthea.jpg and callisto.jpg but as soon as I try to modify those with some bits from the new image from New Horizons it all goes wrong and I just get un-textured white blobs.

UTmark1.jpg
UTmark1.jpg (4.25 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
UTmark2.jpg
UTmark2.jpg (3.47 KiB) Viewed 5020 times

Then I tried simply loading callisto into IrfanView and saving it straight out as a copy with no messing but no good ! white blob AhHa thinks I - wrong image program ? So tried again in GIMP - white blob !! It seems that someting (obvious ?!) is getting messed up by those two progs. They look identical to me !

Any guesses what I should try next ? Thanks.

Update : I must be doing something really very stupid because I cant even get the inbuilt Checks pattern on the model :(the only things that work are textures out of c1.6.1. So it cant be my old OpenGL problem can it ? else the 161 texture wouldnt work either ? I'm running out of hair to pull ! :biggrin:

[ Background -
Thought it would be a good idea to find out how to make models in Celestia, especially as Ultima Thule is in need of one :) !
I found my way to 3ds things and Anim8or.
Bit of a struggle with it ( all the tutorials were already way over my head ! ) but eventually I got two simple spheres joined together and exported ok and using @Anthony B. Russo's MU69 ssc was able to view it in Celestia. ]

LukeCEL
With us: 6 years 11 months

Post #2by LukeCEL » 04.01.2019, 20:08

Hi BorderShed, I don't use a Windows computer so unfortunately I can't help regarding Anim8or. However, could you upload any models you made using Anim8or? We might be able to glean some information from those.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #3by selden » 04.01.2019, 21:50

Some causes of surface texture images not being visible are listed at https://www.classe.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/textures.html#4.0
Selden

Topic author
BorderShed

Post #4by BorderShed » 04.01.2019, 22:15

LukeCEL wrote: upload any models you made using Anim8or? We might be able to glean some information from those.
That is a good idea @LukeCEL
fingers xxed Ive not uploaded zips before.

Included is
Test1_ etc comprising a callisto.jpg and amalthea.jpg textured twin sphere, both textures from lores basic 1.6.1, and shows ok in my installed 1.6.1
Test2_ a call.jpg and amalthea.jpg combo. where call.jpg is a texture made by loading the callisto.jpg into Gimp and then re-saving/exported back out without any (intended ! ) changes. I have included the call.jpg as well.
All my other attempts at making similar sized .jpg textures suffer the same fate as call.jpg :(

@selden, thanks I will go through those with a fine attention ! , at first glance it should not be a file size prob. as they are all in the 64 to 512 range !

Thanks all.

UltimaThuleTest.zip
(37.79 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #5by selden » 05.01.2019, 15:36

Unfortunately, all I can say is that it works fine for me.

However, since you didn't provide either the .ssc that you're using or the folders that the files are in, I had to create my own. This makes me suspect that your problem is that the surface texture image files aren't in the correct location, so Celestia is unable find them.

Surface texture files which are specified inside Celestia's 3D meshes must be in the folder
main\textures\medres\
(in this example, "main" must be replaced by the actual name of the folder where you put the .SSC catalog file)

However, while working on a mesh in Amim8or, I've found it most convenient to have the surface texture images in the same folder as the mesh.

I've attached the Addon that I used to test the surface texture image call.jpg and your 3DS meshs plus a screengrab showing how it looks on my computer. In my Addon, the object mu69-1 uses your 3DS model which specifies Celestia's original almathea.jpg and callisto.jpg surface texture images, while mu69-2 uses your model which specifies amalthea.jpg plus your call.jpg.
Attachments
mu69.zip
example addon
(465.51 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
mu69.png
celestia screengrab
Selden

Topic author
BorderShed

Post #6by BorderShed » 05.01.2019, 16:31

selden wrote:Unfortunately, all I can say is that it works fine for me. This makes me suspect that your problem is that the surface texture image files aren't in the correct location, so Celestia is unable find them.

Surface texture files which are specified inside Celestia's 3D meshes must be in the folder
Ah! Bingo !! :clap: ,,,,, thanks ever so much for looking into my little problem, fortunately it did work for you and you sussed what I was doing wrong.

Did I say I was a rank newbie at this and that I was prob. doing something stupid ? :biggrin: where's the "lightbulb" emoticon :oops:

I had textures in a lores folder :( because they were only little !

Now I wonder how I distort a perfect sphere in A8r into something more realistic for UT, , ,
Or should I make a Borg ? >>> Just to show your answer worked
Ho ho this could be fun :biggrin:

Borg.jpg

Return to “Help Central”