Tips for formulating help requests

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
Guckytos
With us: 20 years 3 months

Tips for formulating help requests

Post #1by Guckytos » 19.04.2009, 19:07

Here are some tips for you that you should consider so that it is easier to help you.

• If you are having trouble with graphical display, read first in the FAQ section about graphical troubles.
  • It normally helps a lot to update your graphics driver, but you should do it in a certain way, see also the FAQ about that.
  • If you already have the latest drivers and the problem is still there, post together with your problem description the results of what Celestia displays under "Help/OpenGL Info" as this also helps us to help you.

• First of all, please read the FAQs here and the README that comes with Celestia (it's in the main Celestia folder) before posting here.
  • It is also always a good idea to make a fourm search for your problem, often the same questions have been asked and answered before.
  • If you don't find an answer to your problem, state at least which version of Celestia you are using and your operation system, perhaps also your system specs. So it will be easier to help you.
  • Describe as precisely as you can what problem you have and when it occurs.

Remember, following the advice above makes it easier to help you.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Re: Tips for formulating help requests

Post #2by selden » 20.04.2009, 12:19

Also, when a problem has been resolved, please let us know what you did. That will help others who are in the same situation.
Selden

eafbsd
With us: 16 years 10 months

Post #3by eafbsd » 25.04.2018, 15:25

Intel Core i7-2600 CPU - 16 GB RAM - 64-bit OS - Celestia ver 1.6.1

I’ve created a spacecraft .cel file with 82 spacecraft, and I’m having a problem with 6 of them. For reasons unknown to me the Cassini, Curiosity, Giotto, ISS, Juno, and Vostok 1 do not appear. When the craft is called, there is movement on the screen, the Print file appears, but no spacecraft. I have played with the .ssc files endlessly to no avail. Is there anyone who can help me with this problem?

selden
Developer

Post #4by selden » 25.04.2018, 15:57

Please create an entirely new thread when you want help with an Addon or script.

Celestia provides some status messages if you turn on its on-screen log by typing a tilde (~) (shift-` on US keyboards). That might provide some hints.

Suggestion: It helps when debugging an Addon if it is the only one in your extras folder and you've moved all of the others to some completely separate directory tree where Celestia can't see them.

If you'd like someone to look at what you have, please attach it to your new thread. Providing it in a Zip file probably would be the most convenient.
Selden

eafbsd

Post #5by eafbsd » 25.04.2018, 20:45

select { object "Cassini" }
follow {}

goto { time 6 distance 50 upframe "ecliptical" }
wait { duration 6 }

goto { time 6 distance 3 upframe "ecliptical" }
wait { duration 6 }

print { text " Cassini (Orbiter) Launched (USA & ESA) 15 Oct 1997\n Entered orbit around Saturn 1 Jul 2004\n On 25 Dec 2004 the Huygens probe was separated from Cassini and landed on Saturn's moon Titan on 14 Jan 2005\n In April 2017, Cassini was placed on an impact course that unfolded over five months" row -5 duration 14}

orbit { axis [ 0 1 0 ] rate 12 duration 20 } # D+23
follow {}

goto { time 6 distance 800 upframe "ecliptical" }
wait { duration 3 }

selden
Developer

Post #6by selden » 25.04.2018, 21:18

Your script must specify a date when Cassini was still in orbit.
Since you didn't specify a date, it's looking for Cassini using the current time in Celestia.

Cassini is no longer in orbit, so there's nothing there that can be drawn on today's date.
Selden

eafbsd

Post #7by eafbsd » 26.04.2018, 02:12

In the .ssc file I have already deleted the beginning and ending dates

Return to “Help Central”