Can I use Celestia to view a correctly working heliocentric model?

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
Krylok
With us: 8 years

Can I use Celestia to view a correctly working heliocentric model?

Post #1by Krylok » 20.09.2016, 05:56

Can I use Celestia to view a correctly working heliocentric model from different angles?

I'd like it to show animation of the sun rise and set year round as If I were an observer on the earth as well as from just beyond the Moon. I'd need to be able to play this in real time and also in slower speeds so i can check the sun rise and sets against the position of sun and earth in different months.

Is any of this possible with Celestia? If not, can you guys suggest another program that displays content in 3d that will do the trick?

Thanks, Krylok

nardo M
With us: 8 years 1 month

Post #2by nardo » 20.09.2016, 21:46

yes. in terms of accuracy, Celestia is built with vsop orbits, which is more than accurate enough for what you plan to use it for. you can set your observer relative to any body or reference point. however, the earth model is a simple spheroid so it won't work like an accurate planetarium since there's no terrain model. however, again, it's accurate enough for what you want to do. you can choose follow or rotate with an object, stay the same relative to 2 objects, speed up, slow down, all with pre-defined keys. even if you find something you can't do, there's almost certainly a more experienced user that can make an add-on for you.

here are some examples i did in 10 seconds.
Attachments
capture2.PNG
the sun from the pacific ocean
capture.png
the earth from just beyond the moon
PC: Acer Aspire E 15, Intel Core i5-6200U 2.3GHz (2.8GHz with Turbo Boost), 16GB DDR4, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX with 2GB VRAM, Windows 10 Home

Topic author
Krylok
With us: 8 years

Post #3by Krylok » 20.09.2016, 22:41

Great, Thanks. I'll have to study the user guide and figure this out. Beats spending 250 bucks for Starry Night.

Krylok

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years

Post #4by John Van Vliet » 21.09.2016, 18:43

Return to “Help Central”