Do star's move in celestia?

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
dusky
With us: 12 years 8 months

Do star's move in celestia?

Post #1by dusky » 24.01.2012, 21:53

Ok I am still getting used to celestia but on thing I have notice is that the star's (when looking from a galatic view like below) don't seem to move at all even when you set time to like 1 million years in the future. Are star's supposed to move according to there unique velocity in celestia? If so, how can I troubleshoot why they might not be moving. If not, is there an easy way to figure out where a star might be 500,000 years in the future. (I am curious to see if any exoplanets would actually get closer to use or not)
http://imageshack.us/f/859/newpicture3.png/

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 21 years 1 month

Re: Do star's move in celestia?

Post #2by ajtribick » 24.01.2012, 23:36

Proper motions of stars are not implemented in Celestia - their positions are fixed. Orbital motion of stars around a barycentre is possible, e.g. Alpha Centauri.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Re: Do star's move in celestia?

Post #3by selden » 25.01.2012, 14:44

To put it another way, if you want to implement star motions yourself, Celestia does include facilities which would make it possible -- Stars could be defined with orbits relative to the galactic center, for example, or whatever barycenter is appropriate. EllipticalOrbit declarations require the SemiMajorAxis value to be in units of AU, which is somewhat awkward, but does work.
Selden

Return to “Help Central”