Been Away a Long Time - Need Small Refresher

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
Soniclight
With us: 18 years 1 month

Been Away a Long Time - Need Small Refresher

Post #1by Soniclight » 27.11.2011, 19:20

It looks like I've been absent here for 5+ years due to other life priorities, so please pardon my rusty state of mind on things Celestia. To recap my use and knowledge of Celestia, I'm an end-user, not a programmer and have used it simply for creating "beauty pass" sequences of Earth for video projects.

My old faithful 32--bit XP Pentium D died this summer so I had to finally do the sensible thing: I now have a 64-bit Win7 Home on a 6-core AMD. My old Celestia add-on BMNG files are still were they were for the old system - a separate video and such media files drive I have (D:\). I only very recently re-installed Celestia (v. 1.6.1) on this new system - and do run as administrator BTW.

The FAQ here only refer to Vista so I don't know if it is now impossible to tell the new install of Celestia to go and look for those files (see below attached image). As I vaguely recall, that was done in the past by editing a particular file. Is this still possible and if so where and how?

Thank you for your input.

"Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." ~ Albert Einstein

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years

Re: Been Away a Long Time - Need Small Refresher

Post #2by John Van Vliet » 27.11.2011, 21:15

--- edit ---
Last edited by John Van Vliet on 19.10.2013, 06:31, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Soniclight

Post #3by Soniclight » 28.11.2011, 03:06

john Van Vliet wrote:
and do run as administrator BTW.
on Win7 that is NOT a good idea

--- OK, thanks for the info. This run-as-administrator thing can be irritating though I understand why MS created it to protect systems from ever-craftier worms, trojans, etc.

i DO NOT use win 7 , but i do have a bootleg copy i use for about 1 hour / month ? maybe 30 min/month)

--- Oh, that's oh-so no-no. The Feds will come and break down your door for using crack-OS-ware :o)

also you will want to install celestia into c://celestia
NOT into "Program files"

--- Ah, yes, there is one one of those forgotten-in-the-mist-of-time tips I had followed back then.

as to having other "extra" files NOT in Celestia/extras
you can edit the "celestia.cfg" file and add it to the section

--- Good to know and hope you're right for the FAQ here (Vista-centric) specifically states that one cannot edit that file. I'll find out soon enough.

"Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." ~ Albert Einstein

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #4by selden » 28.11.2011, 16:26

Soniclight wrote:--- Good to know and hope you're right for the FAQ here (Vista-centric) specifically states that one cannot edit that file. I'll find out soon enough.

Windows Vista and later do not want you to edit files which are in one of the "Program Files" directory trees. That's one of the reasons you should install Celestia in some other directory.

If you install Celestia v1.6.1 using a non-privileged account under Windows 7, by default the installer will put Celestia into
C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Local\Celestia
where you can do whatever you want.

Note that Win7's file Explorer GUI hides AppData in non-privileged accounts, but you can access the directory by typing its complete path in the path field of the Explorer window and use right-mouse-button drag-and-drop to create a desktop shortcut to it.
Selden

Topic author
Soniclight

Post #5by Soniclight » 07.12.2011, 08:18

Thank you for response, I'll look into it.
And pardon the delay in mine but I was locked out of the board due to changing my email address and the time it took to reactivate my access here :o)

Return to “Help Central”