Problem using custom Windows shortcuts in Celestia education

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
jogad
With us: 16 years

Re: Problem using custom Windows shortcuts in Celestia education

Post #21by jogad » 18.05.2010, 21:43

Marco Klunder wrote:I even succeeded to lauch Celestia from the network drive, and after that, parallel a 2nd session from the D: drive, despite Frank's warnings to only click ONCE on the hyperlink

Of course it is funny but as far as I am asked here, I think that this should not be allowed. 8O

I propose to add a --runonce parameter to the celestia command line to avoid this.

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Re: Problem using custom Windows shortcuts in Celestia education

Post #22by chris » 18.05.2010, 23:42

jogad wrote:
Marco Klunder wrote:I even succeeded to lauch Celestia from the network drive, and after that, parallel a 2nd session from the D: drive, despite Frank's warnings to only click ONCE on the hyperlink

Of course it is funny but as far as I am asked here, I think that this should not be allowed. 8O

I propose to add a --runonce parameter to the celestia command line to avoid this.

There already is a --once command line option which should do what you want.

--Chris

Topic author
fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Re: Problem using custom Windows shortcuts in Celestia educa

Post #23by fsgregs » 21.05.2010, 02:19

OK, I tested out the use of the new vbs code files by installing a shorter version of Celestia onto my school networked server. Please note that the server is located in a different building, at the school district IT facility, so it is remote and networked to my school through a broadband line. My installation also automatically placed a Windows shortcut to the Educational-Activities sub-folder onto the desktop of the school computer that I used for the installation. I then used the shortcut to open the folder. It worked. I accessed a test document inside the Educational-Activities folder, opened it and clicked its "CLICK HERE" hyperlink, which linked to the vbs file in the Activity_Cels folder. I am PLEASED TO REPORT that everything worked fine. :D There was also no error message when I closed Celestia, then clicked the hyperlink again in the test document several times. Since I created the Installer file at home on a machine with Celestia located in the C:\Program Files directory, and installed it onto a remote server with a totally different drive (J:\Apps), and since everything worked fine, I see no reason why this "elegant and wonderful solution" should not work on any Windows computer running Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7. No more worry about pre-hard coded Windows shortcuts getting lost!!!!

The only thing I didn't do is paste my Windows shortcut to the Educational-Activities folder onto another remote terminal in the school, and make sure that the shortcut was also able to locate the J:\Apps\Celestia\Educational-Activities folder on the server. I will do that on Monday. I don't expect any problems. I also need to make sure that OpenOffice also opens those hyperlinks OK in my school test. It worked fine in my home test, but I will check it out on Monday.

If all goes well, I will update all of Celestia160-ED with a new set of vbs files in the Activity_cels folder, to replace my pre-hard-coded Windows shortcuts or bat files. I will also then edit all the hyperlinks in the Activity documents that link to the Activity_cels folder, so that they now point to the appropriate vbs files.

Jogad and Marco, I cannot thank you enough. It looks like this problem is really solved. :D :D :D

Warmest regards

Frank

PS - Marco, I will be happy to send you a zip file with all the new vbs files in a few days, to be placed into the Activity_cels folder. You can then edit your Dutch translations of the Activity documents to reflect these new hyperlink destinations. Based on my testing, the only hyperlinks that need editing are the ones that launch Celestia160-ED, typically on pg 4 or 6. I'll outline this more in the email I send you with the vbs zip file.

Marco Klunder
With us: 16 years 7 months

Re: Problem using custom Windows shortcuts in Celestia educa

Post #24by Marco Klunder » 21.05.2010, 16:26

Frank, you're welcome.
Jo?l great job.

I'll wait and see the updated files :D

Marco
Marco Klunder
email: marco.klunder@xs4all.nl
Windows10 PD 3.0 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, Nvidia GeForce 6700 XL
Celestia161 / SVN + Lua Edu Tools v1.2 Beta9, Celestia160-ED and Celestia1621