Celestia is (almost) a failure in my classroom ! :-(

Discuss Celestia's features, adaptations and Addons for use in educational environments
AZ_Cowboy
With us: 17 years 5 months

Post #61by AZ_Cowboy » 30.01.2007, 20:58

Okay Guys:
I get it. I guess when I was a kid and looked to the stars I wanted to go there and see it for myself. Along with Star Trek, I was very interested in the Space Program. But, I guess, back then it was pretty exciting to watch (GEMINI & APOLLO). Both helped me get to the stars equally.

I do, however, debate the validity of some of the science that appears on Star Trek. By far and in comparison to other sci-fi hollywoods, most of what is there either is valid or is based upon valid information. I will admit though that the follow-on series tended to stretch this a bit.

Anyway, the whole reason that I mentioned it in this way was because of a young engineer that our company had hired and his fascination with the new Star Trek (ENTERPRISE). We had had several discussions on the subject and he too was interested in Astronomy as well as Computers like myself.

Does anyone else have any more suggestions for the teacher whose students are failing at CELESTIA?
Git 'er Up!

Reiko
With us: 17 years 9 months

Post #62by Reiko » 30.01.2007, 21:00

I'm into both star trek and astronomy. In fact it was science fiction that made me interested but unfortunately I have always lived in large cities full of air and light pollution so no telescope for me in the backyard. My space fun has always been with books, TV and computer. When I was 13 I once built a model of nearby stars with wire and beads for a science project. I didn't get an A because I added some sci-fi stuff to it. :lol:
If only I had celestia when I was 13...

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #63by fsgregs » 30.01.2007, 21:14

Every year, I ask my 150 or so Astronomy high school students what they liked most about my course. I use not only Celestia, but movies, field trips to several great locations, scale models, other computer programs, extensive multimedia PowerPoint slide lectures with over 5,000 graphic images, and physical labs. We even design alien life forms in clay.

They always choose Celestia as the one component of my course they like the most. That is because of what it is ... and what it is capable of.

You just have to present it to them in a manner they can "groove on" 8) That includes a dark computer lab, space music, a disciplined space journey with lots to do, lots to read, and no time for socializing, good computers, and an unwavering enthusiasm for space and the universe.

It has worked spectacularly for me!!! :D

P.S. - they even get to visit the world of StarTrek. In one of the educational activities, they get to fly along with the Enterprize as it attacks a Borg Cube. By the way, less than 1 in 10 have ever seen a StarTrek TV show and only 1 in 5 have seen any of the eight StarTrek movies that have come out.

Frank

AZ_Cowboy

Post #64by AZ_Cowboy » 30.01.2007, 21:24

Now, that's what I'm talking about! This is a great teaching aide and letting the kids expand their minds with alien lifeforms, wow! Will you be my teacher?

Okay, I have a question. How do I get an image uploaded to this forum; you know, like that one guy did above?
[/img]
Git 'er Up!

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #65by t00fri » 30.01.2007, 21:27

Reiko wrote:...
I didn't get an A because I added some sci-fi stuff to it. :lol:

Reiko,

that's a excellent example of where I see the problematics, notably for kids, these days! It seems you had a pretty good teacher ;-) .

I think it is an invaluably important aspect to always try and keep facts and fiction apart. Actually, a respective training can never start early enough.

Scientific curiosity is most of all stimulated by being confronted clearly with the "limits of human knowledge". Knowing precisely about the limits is often way more important than knowing about the proper facts...

My previous statements might well incorrectly suggest that I am exclusively in favor of FACTS. Actually, at an age of 12-16 I was painting one starship after another that was striving for exotic worlds! I still have those amazing outbursts of my phantasy. Along the same lines, I was of course fond of reading /good/ sci-fi.

But once more: my love for astronomy NEVER interfered with all this, since astronomy concerned FACTS only.

I am very critical about so-called "educational material" concerning the Universe that violates the all-important separation of facts and fiction. Unfortunately, this also applies to some extent to Frank's Celestia-ED.

Bye Fridger

Johaen
With us: 18 years 5 months

Post #66by Johaen » 30.01.2007, 21:42

AZ_Cowboy wrote:I'm a little unsure what you mean, Johaen. Are you saying that you are not familiar with STAR TREK; that it's a television program whose theme is space?

I guess if you're not interested in astronomy then you probably never heard of it. But then why would you take an astronomy class? See, I'm confused...

I understand that it is a movie/tv series based in space, but that's about it. I've never seen any episode or movie, nor do I have any interest in seeing one.

On the other hand, I love astronomy. I have ever since I was... I don't know, 12 or so. It just fascinates me. But just because something takes place in space doesn't mean I'll be interested in it.
AMD Athlon X2 4400+; 2GB OCZ Platinum RAM; 320GB SATA HDD; NVidia EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO, PCI-e, 512MB, ForceWare ver. 163.71; Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Soundcard; Abit AN8 32X motherboard; 600 watt Kingwin Mach1 PSU; Windows XP Media Center SP2;

AZ_Cowboy

Post #67by AZ_Cowboy » 30.01.2007, 22:15

Johaen:
That's very interesting to me. My opinion is the exact opposite of yours. I guess it's totally possible; just curious. I see them linked (Science & Sci-Fi) probably because of my childhood experiences (see above). Now I wonder about your childhood. What era did you grow up in? I was a '60's kid.
Git 'er Up!

Johaen

Post #68by Johaen » 30.01.2007, 22:20

AZ_Cowboy wrote:Now, that's what I'm talking about! This is a great teaching aide and letting the kids expand their minds with alien lifeforms, wow! Will you be my teacher?

Okay, I have a question. How do I get an image uploaded to this forum; you know, like that one guy did above?
[/img]

First you have to upload the image to a server or image hosting site. My personal favorite is ImageShack. Once you upload the image there will be several links. You want the one that says Link for message board, or something like that. Put that in your message and you are/should be good to go.
AMD Athlon X2 4400+; 2GB OCZ Platinum RAM; 320GB SATA HDD; NVidia EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO, PCI-e, 512MB, ForceWare ver. 163.71; Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Soundcard; Abit AN8 32X motherboard; 600 watt Kingwin Mach1 PSU; Windows XP Media Center SP2;

AZ_Cowboy

Post #69by AZ_Cowboy » 30.01.2007, 22:29

cheers...

I'll try that. Hopefully we'll have a Vulcan Sunset for you to observe. The image is the original that I used for my ICON here. You can just see the three planets and the sun behind the enterprise. The original image doesn't have the enterprise in it.
Git 'er Up!

Johaen

Post #70by Johaen » 30.01.2007, 22:59

AZ_Cowboy wrote:Johaen:
That's very interesting to me. My opinion is the exact opposite of yours. I guess it's totally possible; just curious. I see them linked (Science & Sci-Fi) probably because of my childhood experiences (see above). Now I wonder about your childhood. What era did you grow up in? I was a '60's kid.

I was born in 1983. So mostly a 90's kid. Space wasn't in the news all that much. I don't really remember what *was* in the news. Only tv I really watched was Saturday morning cartoons. Otherwise I was playing outside, day and night.

AZ_Cowboy

Post #71by AZ_Cowboy » 01.02.2007, 21:23

Okay Johaen:

How's this?
[img][img=http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2281/vulcansunset20040206ju3.th.jpg][/img]

Hope this works...
Git 'er Up!

Reiko
With us: 17 years 9 months

Post #72by Reiko » 01.02.2007, 21:32

AZ_Cowboy wrote:Okay Johaen:

How's this?
[img][img=http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2281/vulcansunset20040206ju3.th.jpg][/img]

Hope this works...

Vulcan! very nice!! I'll post one of Andoria later :D

Johaen

Post #73by Johaen » 01.02.2007, 22:49

AZ_Cowboy wrote:Okay Johaen:

How's this?

Hope this works...

Not quite. Doing this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2281/vulcansunset20040206ju3.jpg[/img]

Will produce this:

Basically you chose the wrong link.
Nice picture btw.

AZ_Cowboy

Post #74by AZ_Cowboy » 02.02.2007, 16:35

Thanks.

The only thing that's missing with images like this one is the landscape. I am currently working on a program that will produce a 3-D model of a texture file so that when one zooms in this close they actually see the surface features (mountains, craters, etc.). It might take me some time so don't look for it REAL soon, but look for it! I'm hoping that it will add value to this already fantastic application.
Git 'er Up!

t00fri
Developer

Post #75by t00fri » 02.02.2007, 17:46

AZ_Cowboy wrote:Thanks.

The only thing that's missing with images like this one is the landscape. I am currently working on a program that will produce a 3-D model of a texture file so that when one zooms in this close they actually see the surface features (mountains, craters, etc.). It might take me some time so don't look for it REAL soon, but look for it! I'm hoping that it will add value to this already fantastic application.

Are you planning to use the scientific elevation maps as an input for your "landscapes"?

Bye Fridger

AZ_Cowboy

Post #76by AZ_Cowboy » 02.02.2007, 18:24

The first task for me is to assemble all of the information available. This would include any photographic information. I will incorporate as much REAL data as possible. The primary algorythm, however, will build upon shadows and contrasting hues; water vs. land.

Again, references to the location of such photographic data would save me some leg work...
Git 'er Up!

t00fri
Developer

Post #77by t00fri » 02.02.2007, 18:43

AZ_Cowboy wrote:The first task for me is to assemble all of the information available. This would include any photographic information. I will incorporate as much REAL data as possible. The primary algorythm, however, will build upon shadows and contrasting hues; water vs. land.

Again, references to the location of such photographic data would save me some leg work...

But we don't have computer readable photographic data for > 10000 DSOs, for example?

Altitudes on Earth, Mars etc can be well rendered from the hires elevation maps. OK. But how do you want to assign any kinds of realistic appearances due to local vegetation etc? Actually we do have hires "vegetation maps" along with BMNG!

I don't understand what you really mean with "The primary algorythm, however, will build upon shadows and contrasting hues; water vs. land."

Finally, don't forget this:

Despite the large know how about such matters, notably about 3D rendering, among the devs, Celestia lacks what you are setting out to tackle.

This is NOT because we forgot about this ;-) .

It was estimated that such a landscape type rendering would cost too many of Celestia's resources that we NEED for it's main focus of operating smoothly out to galactic distances...

Last not least, to really address such a project well requires substantial programming knowledge in C++ and OpenGL. Are you sure you are up to this?

Bye Fridger

AZ_Cowboy

Post #78by AZ_Cowboy » 02.02.2007, 18:52

Fridger:

Please retrieve your e-mail from me...
Git 'er Up!

Return to “Celestia in Education”