How To Create Realistic Skyscapes

Discuss Celestia's features, adaptations and Addons for use in educational environments
Topic author
AZ_Cowboy
With us: 17 years 5 months

Post #1by AZ_Cowboy » 25.01.2007, 22:56

This is more of an FYI than a discussion. I have submitted a posting at MotherLode that shows you how to create great skyscapes using CELESTIA. I have only had this program for about one week now and I think it's the best thing since sliced bread! I wrote the skyscape posting for both it's educational value and it's kewl views! Got get it! Hope you like it!
Git 'er Up!

The Singing Badger
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #2by The Singing Badger » 26.01.2007, 16:18

Could you give us a link to it?

Topic author
AZ_Cowboy
With us: 17 years 5 months

Post #3by AZ_Cowboy » 26.01.2007, 17:01

I just checked and it seems that it's not even posted yet. I don't know why. The following is the raw text (no images) of the document:

Using CELESTIA?®

Written by: Peter Allen Rosetto
Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Table of Contents

Overview
The following instructions will enable the user to create realistic skyscapes and time-lapsed sequences from the perspective of standing on any defined planet using the CELESTIA?® planetarium software. These views present extraordinary visual data that are fun to see and have educational merit. I have assembled two such skyscapes below but the user is encouraged to experiment on their own. The first example depicts Jupiter rising from Europa. It can be replicated using the basic CELESTIA?® program. The second is a sun set on Vulcan which the user will learn is actually a moon and not a planet in the 40 Eri A system. For this sequence to work, however, the STARTREK add-on must be downloaded from celestiamotherlode.net.
EXAMPLE 1: The Phases of Jupiter
1) Start CELESTIA?®
2) From the MAINMENU select Render->View Options?€¦
3) From the View Options: Show Panel uncheck Celestial Grid, Constellation Borders and Constellations. All other options should be selected for the best views
4) From the View Options: Orbits/Labels Panel select both the planet and moon ORBIT options. You may also choose to select their label options. This is optional and not required to complete this skyscape.
5) Press OKAY to close Panel.
6) Execute the following key sequence:
[RTN] europa [RTN] ?€?G?€™
CELESTIA?® will center-on and go to the moon ?€?Europa?€™. You will be approximately 6000 km away from its surface.
7) Increase Time-Speed to 1000x (repeatedly press ?€?L?€™ key).
Europa should now be spinning slowly counter-clockwise from the left to the right of the screen.
8) Using the LFT-RGT arrow keys, rotate the moon until the moon is rotating from the top down.
NOTE: Use the location labels to establish true vertical movement.
9) Now repeatedly press the [HOME] key and [DWN] arrow until the Distance from Europa is approximately 50m and its horizon is in the lower 2/3rds of the display.
10) Turn off the ?€?orbit?€™ and ?€?label?€™ options to clean up your view.
11) Now we wait for Jupiter to pass into our view. When its in the position that we like press ?€?Y?€™ to sync with Europa?€™s orbit. Jupiter will stop moving.
Your view should look similar to Figure 1 below:

Figure 1: Jupiter FULL
Now we are essentially standing still on Europa looking EAST. Jupiter will not move from our sight. This is because Europa is in a synchronous orbit with Jupiter meaning that one side always faces Jupiter. One must remember, we are on an alien world. You will also note that the background stars move vertically and not in the circular pattern that they follow here on Earth. This is due to the fact that we?€™re on its equator as well as that Europa?€™s axial tilt is far less than Earth?€™s.

EXAMPLE 2: Vulcan Sunset
NOTE: YOU MUST HAVE ALREADY LOADED THE STAR TREK ADD-ON BEFORE THE FOLLOWING WILL WORK.
1) Start CELESTIA?®
2) From the MAINMENU select Render->View Options?€¦
3) From the View Options: Show Panel uncheck Celestial Grid, Constellation Borders and Constellations. All other options should be selected for the best views
4) From the View Options: Orbits/Labels Panel select both the planet and moon ORBIT options. You may also choose to select their label options. This is optional and not required to complete this skyscape.
5) Execute the following key sequence:
[RTN] 40 Eri A [RTN] ?€?G?€™
CELESTIA?® will center-on and go to the star ?€™40 Eri A?€™.
[RTN] Vulcan [RTN] ?€?G?€™
CELESTIA?® will center-on and go to the moon ?€™Vulcan?€™.

6) Increase Time-Speed to 1000x (repeatedly press ?€?L?€™ key).
Vulcan should now be spinning slowly counter-clockwise from the left to the right of the screen.
7) Using the LFT-RGT arrow keys, rotate the moon until the moon is rotating from the top down.
NOTE: Use the location labels to establish true vertical movement.
8) Now repeatedly press the [HOME] key and [DWN] arrow until the Distance from Vulcan is approximately 300m and its horizon is in the lower 2/3rds of the display. The sky should be blue but may be black dependent upon the time of day it is.
9) Turn off the ?€?orbit?€™ and ?€?label?€™ options to clean up your view.
10) Press ?€?Y?€™ to sync with Vulcan?€™s orbit. Now we wait for the sky to turn dark.
Your view should look similar to Figure 2 below:

Figure 2: Vulcan Sunset
There can be many different sunsets on Vulcan and there are as many sunrises. The cool ones have the planet T?€™Khut in blood red hovering like a nemesis. This is a very interesting system to toy around. I can hardly imagine what it would be like to have known our skies to look like this instead of the way they do. Would they have figured out orbits and the like before or after our own culture did in its development? Hmmm?€¦

Have Fun!
Git 'er Up!

steven75
With us: 15 years 11 months

Re: How To Create Realistic Skyscapes

Post #4by steven75 » 12.07.2008, 06:43

Can you provide us a link or it will be even better if you place pictures of Skyscapes, it will be so interesting to see “Jupiter rising from Europa”.
Steven, my web site is here

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 8 months

Re: How To Create Realistic Skyscapes

Post #5by BobHegwood » 12.07.2008, 14:42

Just for everyone's information here...

This add-on is NOT listed on the Motherlode. I do not know why, and I have never seen it.
My guess would be that it was rejected long ago for one reason or another. This was before Ulrich had any help in checking the add-ons.
If the author would care to re-upload this add-on to the ML, I would be happy to investigate it, and to give advice if there are problems with it. :wink:

Thanks, Bob
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

Return to “Celestia in Education”