Celestia-ED

Discuss Celestia's features, adaptations and Addons for use in educational environments
Topic author
zeraeiro
With us: 18 years 2 months

Celestia-ED

Post #1by zeraeiro » 22.01.2007, 22:39

Is it possible for anyone to compile Celestia-ED for windows with the new .po files available at http://celestia.teyssier.org/i18n/ ? I would if I knew how to. I would then send that version to Frank Gregorio. I really need this because I want to translate Frank's activities to Portuguese.

I'm also trying to compile Celestia Patch 3 for linux but I can't find any instructions to do so. Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks,

Jos?© Raeiro

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #2by selden » 22.01.2007, 23:18

Jos?©,

There's no need to post the same message in more than one forum. Celestia regulars see them all :)

I'll delete the other thread, since the only response has been to ask why the double posting.

Frank will probably be responding shortly.
Selden

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Re: Celestia-ED

Post #3by Vincent » 23.01.2007, 08:53

zeraeiro wrote:Is it possible for anyone to compile Celestia-ED for windows with the new .po files available at http://celestia.teyssier.org/i18n/ ? I would if I knew how to. I would then send that version to Frank Gregorio. I really need this because I want to translate Frank's activities to Portuguese.

Jos?©,

As I wrote you in my last PM, Celestia-ED (~ Celestia-patch) is built upon the Celestia 1.4.1 official version, which was not localized yet for Windows. So the best way of getting a localized (~ translated) version of Celestia-ED would be to integrate all the patches into the current 1.5 official version (which is localized) and recompile.

Since quite a lot of educators are asking for localized versions, I may release a last updated version of Celestia-ED/Celestia-patch based upon Celestia 1.5.0. However, this will be the last update.

The Lua Edu Tools are a best alternative since they don't need a source code manipulation/compilation and since they can be installed/modified like any other addon.
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Topic author
zeraeiro

Post #4by zeraeiro » 23.01.2007, 09:07

As I wrote you in my last PM, Celestia-ED (~ Celestia-patch) is built upon the Celestia 1.4.1 official version, which was not localized yet for Windows. So the best way of getting a localized (~ translated) version of Celestia-ED would be to integrate all the patches into the current 1.5 official version (which is localized) and recompile.

Ok, sorry for the confusion. :oops: Although I still don't understand what the differences are between Celestia Patch and Celestia-ED, i.e. will Frank's activities run with Celestia Patch (minding that you would copy the script files for the activities)?

The Lua Edu Tools are a best alternative since they don't need a code manipulation/compilation and since they can be installed/modified like any other addon.

So what you're saying is that Frank's activities will run under Lua Edu Tools? :oops:

That would be GREAT! In the mean time please let me know if I can help in ANY (well, almost) way.

Thanks a lot!

Jos?© Raeiro

Topic author
zeraeiro

Post #5by zeraeiro » 23.01.2007, 10:25

I forgot

i.e. will Frank's activities run with Celestia Patch (minding that you would copy the script files for the activities)?

And the cfg files, of course.

Jos?© Raeiro

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #6by Vincent » 23.01.2007, 11:20

zeraeiro wrote:Ok, sorry for the confusion. :oops: Although I still don't understand what the differences are between Celestia Patch and Celestia-ED, i.e. will Frank's activities run with Celestia Patch (minding that you would copy the script files for the activities)?
Yes, Celestia-ED.exe and Celestia_patch.exe are built from nearly the same source code. There are 2 minor differences, though :
- I modified a bit the color and and the level of saturation of galaxies in Celestia patch, but Frank didn't want these changes to be included into celestia-ED.
- Celestia-ED uses the celestia_ed.cfg file as the default configuration file.

zeraeiro wrote:So what you're saying is that Frank's activities will run under Lua Edu Tools? :oops:

Well, not yet. I still have to work on the Lua Edu Tools to see if I can add the possibility to play sound. If this can be done, the Lua Edu Tools will be easier to use, to update and even to customize than Celestia-patch. Moreover, the possibilities with Lua are impressive : the Lua Edu Tools include new features that are not in Celestia-patch, e.g, compass, time Box, active buttons, ...

Believe me, we are only at the beginning of the Lua Tools adventure !... :wink:
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Matthias Gris
With us: 17 years 1 month

Post #7by Matthias Gris » 16.08.2007, 11:15

could someone post a link to the two disk (.iso?) CelestiaED download i saw mentioned on an Australian Educational webpage please?

also, is this the latest version of CelestiaED, i ask because of talk on the forums of patches?

finally, will there be an updated CelestiaED based on the upcoming 1.5 release?

many thanks

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #8by selden » 16.08.2007, 11:44

Frank Gregorio's Educational Activities are available on the Motherlode at http://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/educational.php

You'll have to contact Frank directly about the CD version.
Selden

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #9by fsgregs » 29.08.2007, 01:21

Matthias:

will there be an updated CelestiaED based on the upcoming 1.5 release

I have updated Celestia-ED for 2007 to include new astronomical changes and discoveries uncovered since 2006. For example, Activities 3, 3E, 4 and 4E, which take you on a detailed journey through our solar system, were updated to include Pluto, Ceres and Eris as dwarf planets, new moons have been added, new spacecraft launched in 2006/2007 are included in Activity 7 and 8, etc. The updates were sent to motherlode this week and should be available within a few days.

These updates still use Celestia-ED 141. They do not include Vincent's great lua tools and they do not use Celestia 1.5.0, primarily because 1.5.0 still has no sound, and there are serious bugs/incompatibilities in 1.5.0 that must first be overcome. For example, there is a problem with seeing stars directly overhead from the ground during full sunlight. 1.5.0 also cannot be used with several add-ons that work just fine in 1.4.1 Those add-ons are important parts of the Activities.

I am anxious to begin using LUA tools in the Activities, but 1.5.0 must first incorporate sound (it is a key part of the Activities), and those bugs must still be fixed.

Keep watching the forum here for announcements of any new educational updates.

Regarding the two disk Celestia-ED CD set, I market it myself for a modest fee. If you are interested, please email me separately. I have had lots of customers in Australia. However, if someone is posting a separate download file in Australia that includes the entire CD set, they are violating my copyright. I'd most certainly like to know about it.

Frank :?

Return to “Celestia in Education”