No sound in Celestia-ED

Discuss Celestia's features, adaptations and Addons for use in educational environments
Topic author
lanebarrow
With us: 15 years 2 months

No sound in Celestia-ED

Post #1by lanebarrow » 04.11.2009, 18:04

I recently installed Celestia-ED 151 on a Lenovo laptop alongside Celestia 1.6.0. The educational activities work fine except for no sound.

I've checked to make sure that nothing is muted, and I was able to play music in the background while Celestia is running. However, the sound scripts don't work, regardless of whether I initiate them from the Activities docs, or try to run them from the Celestia menu. I've re-installed Celestia, but still no sound. I even un-installed 1.6.0 to see if that would help, but it didn't.

The Celestia-ED sound works fine on my desktop, but nothing I do can coax the laptop into recognizing the sound scripts.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Lane

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Re: No sound in Celestia-ED

Post #2by fsgregs » 15.11.2009, 23:15

Dear Lane"

Sorry for the delay in answering. I just now discovered your post. The problem is probably with a file called the OpenAL32.dll file. On some computers with particular sound cards, no sounds will play when you try to activate sounds from within a written Activity. If that happens, it is most likely due to a single file in the Celestia151-ED directory named "OpenAL32.dll". The file provided with the default installation works on most computers, but it may not work on all computers. For those computers, there are two other versions of the file that should work. Both are enclosed in a separate folder called "OpenAL.dll". Look for it in the main Celestia151-ED folder. Inside will be a sub-folder named "alternate files".

To fix your problem, locate the existing OpenAL32.dll file in the main Celestia151-ED directory, right-click on it, choose "rename", and rename it to OpenAL32-old.dll. Then, copy one of the other two versions of this file found in the "alternate files" folder, and paste it into the main Celestia151-ED directory.

Then launch Celestia and try to activate sounds by clicking on the proper links inside the Activity document. Everything should work fine. If not, try the other OpenAL32.dll file.

let me know if that does not fix the problem.

Frank

Topic author
lanebarrow
With us: 15 years 2 months

Re: No sound in Celestia-ED

Post #3by lanebarrow » 24.11.2009, 00:05

Frank,

Your solution worked like a charm.

Thanks!
Lane

Return to “Celestia in Education”