Current status of Celestia's Twitter account

Discussion forum for Celestia developers; topics may only be started by members of the developers group, but anyone can post replies.
Topic author
TheLostProbe
With us: 4 years

Current status of Celestia's Twitter account

Post #1by TheLostProbe » 04.07.2023, 05:07

Before today, Celestia's Twitter account was managed by me and onetwothree, which was possible via a once third-party website called TweetDeck that allowed for users to efficiently manage one or more Twitter accounts at the same time. Due to the recent changes to Twitter's API, TweetDeck completely broke down, and was quickly replaced by a new version with an updated design... and plenty of unfortunate limitations.
Old TweetDeck let account owners give other accounts access to their account, without needing a username or password to access. This is no longer the case with TweetDeck 2.0. Instead, you have to logout of your current account and login to the other account, using the login credentials of that account. I obviously don't know the password to the CelestiaProject account, and I'm not sure that onetwothree would want to give me the password.
What makes this situation even worse is that TweetDeck will become a Twitter Blue exclusive feature in 30 days. That means I will have to pay 13 AUD (8.65 USD) per month, just so I can use TweetDeck and manage the Celestia Twitter account. onetwothree doesn't need to pay for Blue because he can just login to Twitter and post straight from there.
"Carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where the dimensions intersect... impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary."
- Dr. Wallace Breen

onetwothree
Site Admin
With us: 5 years 7 months

Post #2by onetwothree » 04.07.2023, 06:32

stupid musk. let me think.

DaveBowman2001
With us: 5 years 10 months

Post #3by DaveBowman2001 » 06.07.2023, 00:34

Time to give Celestia other social media accounts?
"Open the pod-bay doors HAL"
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

Spacecrafts Addon Developer since 2018
Celestia Versions: 1.6.9 (Mobile), 1.6.3 and 1.7.0 (Windows)

onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #4by onetwothree » 06.07.2023, 07:47

We use twitter because there a lot of twitter users.

DaveBowman2001

Post #5by DaveBowman2001 » 06.07.2023, 09:21

Yeah, but there's also a lot of Facebook and Instagram users as well...it could benefit Celestia's promotion to the public more if it is spread out to other platforms, especially if Twitter continues its "sporadic" self-destruction. I'm not saying this doesn't occur on other platforms, just the problems facing Twitter right now is simply worse imho

onetwothree
Site Admin

Post #6by onetwothree » 06.07.2023, 09:31

Who gonna post on these platforms? We have only one volunteer to work with Twitter while need one more to post regularly.

Topic author
TheLostProbe

Post #7by TheLostProbe » 06.07.2023, 11:37

since I am currently unable to use TweetDeck to run the Twitter account, I can definitely vacate some of my free time to other social media platforms. though I am not really familiar with neither Facebook nor Instagram
"Carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where the dimensions intersect... impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary."
- Dr. Wallace Breen

DaveBowman2001

Post #8by DaveBowman2001 » 07.07.2023, 15:55

I can probably help in the Instagram one. Though I have a Facebook account, I haven't yet tried maintaining a page for it, but it shouldn't be hard to do so I think

Topic author
TheLostProbe

Post #9by TheLostProbe » 01.09.2023, 05:21

coming back to this...
given that I'm unable to access the Twitter account and onetwothree is too busy to manage it, we should probably just branch out to other platforms. Facebook and Instagram would be the best options, since they have very large userbases. lev and I discussed the possibility of a YouTube channel in this GitHub issue, so if we go through with that and also make YouTube Shorts videos, we could reupload those to a TikTok account since they're the same format.
a lot of Twitter users are flocking to other microblogging platforms, like Bluesky, Firefish, and Mastodon. maybe it wouldn't hurt to create an account on these platforms as well (though Bluesky is a closed beta and requires an access key that somebody already using Bluesky has to send to you, so that's an issue)
- Dr. Wallace Breen

Anthony_B_Russo10

Post #10by Anthony_B_Russo10 » 02.09.2023, 22:37

Best to start with Facebook and YouTube out of those, something like BlueSky or Mastodon would be good to start after the program has a social media following. TikTok and Instagram, I have no clue about priority, though there is SnapChat as well (could get some traction there since NASA uses it). There's also Reddit, but that is already covered (just need to get more traction on it).
Anthony B. Russo, I like Pluto. Mod of the Celestia subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Celestiasoftware/
I have over 40 computers, trying to list them here would be a pain.
Responsible for the NEO catalog: https://celestia.space/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22203
And mod of the Discord server.

DaveBowman2001

Post #11by DaveBowman2001 » 04.09.2023, 01:44

For Facebook/Instagram, I've been thinkiong of sharing screenshots like those from its original Twitter account is doing

Topic author
TheLostProbe

Celestia is now on Bluesky

Post #12by TheLostProbe » 23.09.2023, 10:23

title says everything I guess. this account will be used to somewhat replace the Twitter account, and since most Twitter users are flocking to Bluesky in anticipation of the platform's collapse, it is good to have anyway
image.png
- Dr. Wallace Breen

DaveBowman2001

Celestia is Now on Instagram

Post #13by DaveBowman2001 » 18.10.2023, 13:41

Earlier this day, @Markerz and I have also set up Celestia's own Instagram account
IMG_20231018_122407.jpg

UPDATE (231021): The Instagram profile was renamed to CelestiaProject
https://instagram.com/celestia.mobile?igshid=OGQ5ZDc2ODk2ZA==

Return to “Ideas & News”