What additional data to show in infopanel (qt version)

Discussion forum for Celestia developers; topics may only be started by members of the developers group, but anyone can post replies.
Topic author
onetwothree
Site Admin
With us: 5 years 8 months

What additional data to show in infopanel (qt version)

Post #1by onetwothree » 28.08.2019, 14:01

Hi all,

in Qt GUI version we have a info panel which shows some data for an object selected in the Sky catalog. What additional data should we show for different objects if any?

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #2by SevenSpheres » 03.11.2019, 23:25

I think that in addition to the InfoURL parameter in data files, there could also be a Description parameter, for a description of an object to be shown in the info panel. Of course the Lua Tools have a similar function, but it would be easier to have the description in the same file as the definition of the object.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

FarGetaNik M
With us: 11 years 11 months

Post #3by FarGetaNik » 04.11.2019, 16:14

I brought this up on the discord the other day. I havent' quite figured out how to have it display anything yet, or maybe its just the latest build.

But I'd love it to display non-render relevant data, like the orbital classification of minor objects (minor moon family or dynamical class of minor planets, TNOs) or say the discovery method for exoplanets. I'm not sure if that would require a separate ssc parameter or if there's a more convenient solution.

Anthony_B_Russo10
With us: 5 years 10 months

Post #4by Anthony_B_Russo10 » 04.11.2019, 17:16

Along with the specific classification of a planet, like whether it's rocky, a gas giant, an ice giant, dwarf planet, or a hot Jupiter for example.
Anthony B. Russo, I like Pluto. Mod of the Celestia subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Celestiasoftware/
I have over 40 computers, trying to list them here would be a pain.
Responsible for the NEO catalog: https://celestia.space/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22203
And mod of the Discord server.

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #5by SevenSpheres » 04.11.2019, 22:18

FarGetaNik wrote:I havent' quite figured out how to have it display anything yet, or maybe its just the latest build.

The info panel can be shown by right-clicking on an object and selecting "Info".

A Description parameter could include things like the type of object and discovery method. I'm thinking it would look like this:

Code: Select all

"Jupiter" "Sol" {
   Description "Jupiter is the fifth planet from the Sun and the largest in the Solar System. It is a gas giant with a mass one-thousandth that of the Sun, but two-and-a-half times that of all the other planets in the Solar System combined. Jupiter has been known to astronomers since antiquity. It is named after the Roman god Jupiter. When viewed from Earth, Jupiter can be bright enough for its reflected light to cast shadows, and is on average the third-brightest natural object in the night sky after the Moon and Venus."
}

And the result would look like this (Celestia screenshot edited in GIMP):

infopanel-edit.png
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

FarGetaNik M
With us: 11 years 11 months

Post #6by FarGetaNik » 05.11.2019, 18:43

SevenSpheres wrote:The info panel can be shown by right-clicking on an object and selecting "Info".

I see, thanks. I knew I had it display something before but just enabling it from View/Info Browser doesnt do anything (maybe that should be updated too).

I like that idea, something like that would be neat. :smile:

Return to “Ideas & News”