IDEA: Support for one of the formats supported by Windows Paint 3D

Discussion forum for Celestia developers; topics may only be started by members of the developers group, but anyone can post replies.
Topic author
vpontin
With us: 7 years 4 months

IDEA: Support for one of the formats supported by Windows Paint 3D

Post #1by vpontin » 10.03.2019, 15:39

Windows 10 added some interesting tools for layman users to do basic 3D moddeling. The first is Paint 3D, basically it take the Paint concept (basic draw program) but add some 3D modeling concepts.

The other is Remix 3D library, similar to old Sketchup Warehouse, its a library of 3D models free to download (i think) and edit.

BUT there's a "gap" between these tools and the major software (games, Celestia tools to convert to formats the program reads, Celestia itself) which is 3D: the formats.

Paint 3D can read .3mf, .stl, .ply, .obj, .glb and .fbx, and can write to .3mf, .glb and .fbx. and Remix 3D seems to natively have .glb models.

My question is: can Celestia implement support for one of these formats (at least .obj due to versatility) natively for celestial bodies/spacecraft?

I think this would be far useful for newbie modders, the simple fact we can get ridden of Blender to convert (with some distortions depending of the format) the models to a more common format, then using some other convertor to .cmod, aside some interesting models like spacecrafts are available in remix 3d library, which could be used in celestia.

PS.: Other format interesting to implement is Collada. Mostly because Spore can export creatures and vehicles into this format :razz:

SpaceFanatic64
With us: 6 years

Post #2by SpaceFanatic64 » 10.03.2019, 18:10

That sounds like a good idea. But if the model is broken or doesn't work in Celestia, we'd have to fix it.
If you see that I made a dumb or nonsensical post years ago, please forgive me in advance.

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years

Post #3by John Van Vliet » 10.03.2019, 23:36

My question is: can Celestia implement support for one of these formats (at least .obj due to versatility) natively for celestial bodies/spacecraft?

obj files have been supported for many many many years

SpaceFanatic64
With us: 6 years

Post #4by SpaceFanatic64 » 10.03.2019, 23:40

Really? I thought only cmod and 3ds were supported.
If you see that I made a dumb or nonsensical post years ago, please forgive me in advance.

john71
With us: 8 years

Post #5by john71 » 11.03.2019, 08:20

Obj. format is not fully supported in my opinion (you can import it into cmodview), but it should be supported.

Anyway why isn't there a cmod->obj. converter? It would be very useful.

onetwothree
Site Admin
With us: 5 years 11 months

Post #6by onetwothree » 11.03.2019, 19:18

There is a good free library called asymptote it supports a lot of 3D formats. Once we implement more important features and fix more important bugs we may try use it instead of homemade code.

Return to “Ideas & News”