My Virtual Machine!

Discussion forum for Celestia developers; topics may only be started by members of the developers group, but anyone can post replies.
Topic author
t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

My Virtual Machine!

Post #1by t00fri » 28.04.2007, 20:19

Hi all,

I thought it may me instructive and motivating for some, if I present here a brief account of my very positive experiences with my new "Virtual Machine".

Virtual machines are a quite hot subject these days, notably for cross-platform development. That is also the main purpose for my "VirtualBox" and the reason for presenting it HERE.

The exciting very recent development comes from a German software company (InnoTek)

http://www.virtualbox.org/

that apparently added a very successful new member to the pool of existing virtual machines:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
-- VirtualBox is professionally done,
-- VERY fast and 100% compatible with the guest OS
-- perfectly stable AND
-- OpenSource (!!)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

VirtualBox can be run with an arbitrary guest OS on any of the three leading host
Operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mac OSX).

e.g. my present installation
host: Linux (SuSE 10.1)
guest: Windows XP

or e.g.

host Windows XP
guest Windows Vista

Once I install another MAC OSX guest, I'll be able to compile and test software also for MACs

There is obviously a wealth of most useful applications. Imagine that I don't have to reboot anymore if I want to compile and test Celestia code or my txtools both on Windows XP and Linux! Moreover, there is a perfectly working internal network, based on the Secure Shell (ssh).
Using the ingenious cross-platform tool 'rsync', my archives on the Virtual XP machine and on my Linux host are synchronized with ONE single click! Moreover 'shared folders' are also supported, allowing simply to copy files between the host and the guest file system.

Let me just flash a few screenshots to give you a feel how things look like. By clicking on the following thumbs you can see the original 1600x1200 images.

1) Start Windows from Linux like a normal application. After a few moments the familiar Login appears:

Have a click!
In the background, you see my KDE Desktop under Linux. Of course, there is also a full-screen option for the guest OS window.

2) After Login, you see here the familiar CYGWIN command shell on the left.

Have a click!

I always place my Windows taskbar vertical and renounce on displaying the icon labels. Then all icons fit orderly onto a fairly slim taskbar and leave maximal space for windows on the left....

From the icons you can recognize some familiar applications:

Windows Explorer
Firefox 2.03
Internet Explorer 7
Acrobat Reader 8
Notepad++
WordPad
Cygwin Terminal and Setup icon
Gimp 2.2.14
XnView 1.9.0 (+ nconvert)
NVIDIA's WTV dds display tool
DOS command shell
MS Visual Studio .Net 2003 compiler
Inno Setup 5 generator package
Cmake
7z archiver GUI
MS Media Player 11
First Class Client to edit our Celestial Matters site
HP 990cxi network printer

Software installation works just like in case of a real WinXP setup, i.e. mostly using Firefox and the net for non-commercial applications. CD's/DVD's for commercial programs.

Everything works flawlessly and VERY fast on my Linux host! From playing music to operating my network printer... The most important application is clearly the VS .Net 2003 compiler!

Here are some further shots:

3) My Visual Studio .Net 2003 compiler having just finished successfully building Celestia 1.5.0CVS

Have a click!

4) Typical Windows stuff: Media Player 11 playing Alicia Keys (Songs in A minor ;-) ), The latest Internet explorer 7 and Windows explorer.

Have a click!

5) Finally, FireFox and MS Media Player at work

Have a click!

Think about it! This is really a big step forward...

There is one weakness, though: NO 3d hardware support. I.e. Celestia runs fine, but slow. But everything else is perfect. You can also display Video DVD's and even read in ISO files or real CD's/DVD's via your host player.

Bye Fridger
Last edited by t00fri on 29.04.2007, 09:29, edited 6 times in total.

Fightspit
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #2by Fightspit » 28.04.2007, 20:49

The earth is very strange 8)
Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2
Processor: Intel Core2 E6700 @ 3Ghz
Ram: Corsair 2 x 1GB DDR2 PC6400
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 384 bits PCI-Express 16x
HDD: Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000 rpm

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #3by t00fri » 28.04.2007, 20:58

Fightspit wrote:The earth is very strange 8)

I made it ;-) . It's a piece of art ...

As you can see, the colors fit neatly to the Linux-KDE background etc. The Earth image on Firefox has nothing to do with Celestia, of course.

Bye Fridger

rthorvald
With us: 20 years 10 months

Re: My Virtual Machine!

Post #4by rthorvald » 30.04.2007, 16:43

t00fri wrote:The exciting very recent development comes from a German software company (InnoTek)

Very interesting. If it can run XP or Vista on my mac...

I have used VirtualPC for many years, but after it was bought out by Microsoft, support for Macs has ceased, so my version are showing it??s age (like no support for Intel). Parallels is a solution i am considering, but this is Open Source...

Mac hosts are not supported yet, but it seems it is in the works...

- rthorvald

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #5by t00fri » 30.04.2007, 17:16

rthorvald wrote:
t00fri wrote:The exciting very recent development comes from a German software company (InnoTek)

Very interesting. If it can run XP or Vista on my mac...

I have used VirtualPC for many years, but after it was bought out by Microsoft, support for Macs has ceased, so my version are showing it??s age (like no support for Intel). Parallels is a solution i am considering, but this is Open Source...

Mac hosts are not supported yet, but it seems it is in the works...

- rthorvald

Runar,

VirtualBox (InnoTek) supports now 'MAC hosts (beta)'.

I would be most interested to run a MAC guest, of course ;-)

Bye Fridger

Christophe
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #6by Christophe » 30.04.2007, 17:20

I've been using VMWare server (closed but free) for a while now: guest XP, host Linux. It's working very well except for hardware acceleration...

How does VirtualBox compares? What kind of virtual video card does it provide to the guest? Does it provide a sound card too? And do you have access to USB devices? (it doesn't work with all devices with VMWare)

A downside of VMware server is that it doesn't support shared folder (you have to buy the Workstation version to get that feature), so you have to go through the network stacks.

On the other hand, one nice feature is that you can access guests remotely with very good performances.

The virtualization arena is such a jungle at the moment that it is hard to pick the right solution. I hope this will eventualy settle down.
Christophe

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #7by t00fri » 30.04.2007, 18:04

Christophe wrote:I've been using VMWare server (closed but free) for a while now: guest XP, host Linux. It's working very well except for hardware acceleration...

How does VirtualBox compares? What kind of virtual video card does it provide to the guest? Does it provide a sound card too? And do you have access to USB devices? (it doesn't work with all devices with VMWare)

A downside of VMware server is that it doesn't support shared folder (you have to buy the Workstation version to get that feature), so you have to go through the network stacks.

On the other hand, one nice feature is that you can access guests remotely with very good performances.

The virtualization arena is such a jungle at the moment that it is hard to pick the right solution. I hope this will eventualy settle down.

Christophe,

well I cannot really compare with VMWare, since I never used it. But I can tell that ALL reviewers in the respective media are enthusiastically in favor of VirtualBox.

-- Yes, USB works, the virtual sound card sounds also very well. The virtual graphics card emulates a huge resolution and is custom InnoTek. 2d Graphics is really nice and fast. The cursor smoothly switches between host and guest windows.

--VB has a most intuitive customizable GUI startup interface. Handling of VB seems also way better than VMWare.

-- the network intgrating the guest into the host net is also a pleasure to work with (it's a simple bridge).

-- there ere converters in the make to adapt VM virtual harddisks to VB virtual harddisks...

I am VERY happy with the overall performance and speed.
Since the native Mesa OpenGL was only version 1.1 I compiled the latest stable Mesa 6.4.2 with VS .Net 2003. Now I emulate OGL 1.5 with Saturn shadows, but without ring shadows and eclipses of Jupiter moons.

The latest Mesa 6.5.3 (with shaders etc, emulating OGL 2.0/2.1)
is a horror to compile under Win32. Still trying...

For checking compiles this is quite OK. But OGL 2.0/2.1 would be great. Would you know a VC7 project file that works with Mesa 6.5.3???

Cheers,
Fridger

rthorvald
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #8by rthorvald » 30.04.2007, 22:32

t00fri wrote:VirtualBox (InnoTek) supports now 'MAC hosts (beta)'.
I would be most interested to run a MAC guest, of course ;-)

Oh, i must have skipped that part. Thanks.

If you want to try out OSX, 10.5 will be out in a few months, so buying an OS today is a waste of money, as there are no updates from 10.4 to 10.5; it is a separate OS entirely.

- rthorvald

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #9by t00fri » 01.05.2007, 15:56

Hi all,

here is a bit more VirtualMachine "success" report:

+++++++++++++++++++
let me present a neat little demo of how well USB works with my VirtualBox machine. (hi Christophe...)
+++++++++++++++++++

In the first image below, you see the intuitive VirtualBox startup-interface (left) with all peripheral services listed for configuration in the right-hand part of that window.

After installing my Bluetooth software via my host CDROM drive, the Bluetooth dongle at one of my desktop's USB slots is correctly recognized. You see in the right-hand window what a click on the USB section looks like. You also can see that my USB Joystick is also correctly recognized.

Have a click!

Next, I went to my garden, took a 2 megapix shot with my Samsung (SGH-D600) handy and transferred it via Bluetooth 2 to my virtual machine.

On the left of the next screenshot, you can see graphically that the Bluetooth software recognized 3 clients: my handy (SGH-D 600), that of my wife (SGH-D 900) in another room and my notebook (T00lp2)
The orange ball in the center symbolizes the virtual machine.

You also see, how a click on the transferred jpg photo displays nicely the shot into my garden ...

Have a click!

Bye Fridger

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #10by ElChristou » 01.05.2007, 17:28

off topic... but... who's in charge of the garden?

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #11by t00fri » 01.05.2007, 17:38

ElChristou wrote:off topic... but... who's in charge of the garden?

My wife ... ;-) . I am only allowed to do some low-grade work ...

Bye Fridger

ElChristou
Developer

Post #12by ElChristou » 01.05.2007, 19:03

t00fri wrote:...I am only allowed to do some low-grade work ...

hummm... pas les pouces verts alors... :wink:

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #13by t00fri » 01.05.2007, 19:14

ElChristou wrote:

Mais oui !! Pourtant ?§a reste un secr??t... Ma femme ne le sait pas ;-) . Ou mieux, elle ne veut pas savoir.

Bye Fridger

ElChristou
Developer

Post #14by ElChristou » 01.05.2007, 19:43

t00fri wrote:
ElChristou wrote:

Mais oui !! Pourtant ?§a reste un secr??t... Ma femme ne le sait pas ;-) . Ou mieux, elle ne veut pas savoir.

Bye Fridger

:lol:

phoenix
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #15by phoenix » 04.05.2007, 14:04

wow babelfish has improved:

Babel Fish Translation

In English:
Yes!! However that remains a secr??t... My wife does not know it. Or better, she does not want to know.
most recent celestia win32-SVN-build - use at your own risk (copy over existing 1.5.1 release)

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #16by t00fri » 04.05.2007, 14:12

phoenix wrote:wow babelfish has improved:

Babel Fish Translation

In English:
Yes!! However that remains a secr??t... My wife does not know it. Or better, she does not want to know.

Parfait, mon ami ;-)

Bye Fridger

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #17by t00fri » 04.05.2007, 14:19

Incidentally, I also tried out my USB joystick with MS Flightsimulator 2002. Works perfectly. Also, FS2002 may be operated very smoothly in "secure mode (no hardware graphics support)" in 1400x1050 resolution.

Bye Fridger

Return to “Ideas & News”