Coming soon: Cel URLs v3

Discussion forum for Celestia developers; topics may only be started by members of the developers group, but anyone can post replies.
Topic author
chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Coming soon: Cel URLs v3

Post #1by chris » 05.05.2008, 23:50

Celestia 1.6.0 will be introducing a new cel URL version. All cel URLs produced by versions 1.5.0 and 1.5.1 of Celestia were tagged as version 2; Celestia 1.6.0 will create version 3 URLs. Before explaining the reason for the new URL version, let me first make it clear that older cel URLs will still work fine in Celestia 1.6.0. There should be no incompatibilities like the ones between 1.4.1 and 1.5.0. However, version 3 cel URLs will not work in older versions of Celestia. It is possible to add an option to Celestia 1.6.0 that will force it to create version 2 URLs that can be understood by Celestia 1.5.1 and earlier; if there's demand, I'll implement this capability.

The big reason for introducing a new cel URL version is to reduce future compatibility problems not only between Celestia versions, but between different sets of add-ons. The crux of the problem is that we know where objects are located in space only to some limited precision, and our estimates are constantly being refined as new data is collected. Version 2 cel URLs store the viewer's position in Celestia's universal coordimate system, which has an origin at our solar system's barycenter. Suppose you create a cel URL with a nice view of the orbits of the five planets around 55 Cancri. Then at some later point an updated star database based on new data becomes available, and the distance of of 55 Cancri from the Sun is adjusted by 0.01 light years (not at all an implausible amount, as the current uncertainty in 55 Cnc's distance is given by Wikipedia as 0.4 ly.) With this change, your version 2 cel URL becomes useless. But, a version 3 cel URL will likely still work.

The fundamental change between version 3 and version 2 cel URLs is that the new URLs store the observer's position in the current frame. Basically, this means that they are stored relative to the position of the currently followed object. If you created a version 3 cel URL for the 55 Cancri system view while following 55 Cancri (or any one of the planets orbiting it), this URL would work just fine even if the star's position were later modified. Setting the followed object appropriately helps ensure that your cel URLs are future proof. Luckily, the appropriate choice is usually also the obvious choice: whatever the object of interest is in the URL is typically the object that you'll be following (or sync orbiting, etc.)

Another powerful feature of version 3 URLs is the ability to set the time source. The time source of a URL specifies how the time will be set when the URL is activated. There are three options:

- The current Celestia time when the URL was created
- The current Celestia time when the URL is activated
- The current system time when the URL is activated

When combined with the relative coordinates of version 3 cel URLs, time source lets you do some very useful things. You can easily create a 'home' URL: position the viewer at a location on the Earth's surface close to your home, then save a URL with the time source set to 'system time at activation.' There are several spots on my bookmarks toolbar (Qt4 version) with system time cel URLs for various interplanetary missions. With a single click, I'm able to check the current position of Cassini, New Horizons, Dawn, or Messenger.

Version 2 cel URLs also supports relative cel URLs, but with a couple caveats: viewer position is stored at reduced precision, and the time source is effectively always 'Celestia time at activation.' So, the new capabilities of version 3 URLs are really just generalizations and enhancements of existing features.

SVN revision 4318 adds support for a new cel:// URL version. Celestia for all platforms--KDE, Gnome, Mac OS X, Windows, and Qt4--built with the latest code from SVN will support loading both version 2 and version 3 URLs. However, only the Qt4 front-end for Celestia currently supports creating the new cel URLs.

--Chris

samsmartguy
With us: 16 years 3 months

Re: Coming soon: Cel URLs v3

Post #2by samsmartguy » 01.07.2008, 11:31

And when will this cell url appear ?
VB.NET programmer, My name is Sam, you can find my web site here

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #3by fsgregs » 03.07.2008, 02:31

Chris:

Just a short reminder that with additional info tracked by a celURL version 3, the length of the celURL may begin to approach or even pass 256 characters. In MS Word and in some other hyperlink embedding programs, hyperlinks are restricted to no more than 256 characters. I run up against that limit in lots of celURLs that I try to embed in my educational activities ... the ones that have longer names. For example, if a spacecraft is named "Apollo 11 descent stage", then a celURL for that craft generated by Celestia with the Ctrl +Insert keys will easily exceed 256 characters, and cannot be pasted into an MS Word document.

IF there is a way to codify celURLS in version 3 so that they do not exceed 256 characters, that would be great!

Frank

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #4by Chuft-Captain » 03.07.2008, 21:00

chris wrote:- The current Celestia time when the URL was created
- The current Celestia time when the URL is activated
- The current system time when the URL is activated
Which of these 3 time options do you anticipate using as the default? ... Which do you think would be most useful, most of the time? Or is it your intention to offer 3 choices each time a URL is created?
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

abramson
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #5by abramson » 05.07.2008, 21:19

Excellent! I presume these will be the ones embedded as metadata in saved images :wink: .
G

LordFerret M
With us: 18 years 1 month

Post #6by LordFerret » 06.07.2008, 05:24

abramson wrote:Excellent! I presume these will be the ones embedded as metadata in saved images :wink: .
G
Nice idea!

Return to “Ideas & News”